Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Hello to the Wandering Mind

Hello to the wandering mind that's happened upon this introduction!

My name is Evie Patterson, and I'm creating this space as a place of open communication not only with the world around me but myself as an individual. I have one of those minds that tends not to ever quiet down, always lost in some train of thought or ensnared by a sudden inspiration. Reflecting on the multifaceted reality that I find myself in a state of constant awe and contemplation of. 
I tend toward the use of writing and dance as my choice mediums for the expression and exploration of concepts that strike a chord within me, and so it is likely that these will play a large part of this blog. Fair warning, at times you may feel as though you've stepped on a stray bit of sod. 

For the sake of simplicity, however, and the enjoyment of listing (which I am very much a fan of), I thought a good introduction would be ten random facts about myself which might serve to illustrate some of my background and foundation as an individual.
  1. I was born and raised in the DC metro area which exposed me to a brilliant array of cultural, spiritual, and educational experiences.
  2. In school, my favorite subjects were history, anthropology and religious studies.
  3. My list of "Places to See" (aka my Wanderlust Check-List) is immense, though my current top five are the Isle of Skye, Varanasi, the Arctic circle, Dolgellau, and Vancouver.
  4. I grew up in a one-bedroom apartment with my family of five so the concept of sharing became essentially a law of physics in my life.
  5. My spiritual foundation as a child was a combination of Drikung-Kagyu and Nyingma Vajrayana Buddhism, however I consider myself an inherently spiritual being and find solidarity with numerous spiritual and religious sources from around the world.
  6. My ethnic background is Scandinavian, Slavic, British, Mediterranean, and Central Asian.
  7. Some of my favorite authors include Charlotte Bronte, G.K. Chesterton, Ernest Hemingway, Susanna Clarke, and Philip Pullman.
  8. I am extremely fond of British television/comedy (some favorites being Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, and Black Books).
  9. Tea is my default beverage.
  10. If I could have any super-power, it would be the ability to speak and understand every language in the history of humanity. 

I've always been somewhat socially awkward and shy in how to proceed in ending a particular train of thought. Not from a desire to necessarily call something to an end, but rather from the notion that nothing really ends. And so, for the time being, I'll pause in my musings and return when I've something more to say. What I've begun is something that likely will never truly end, but continue and reshape itself in its purpose of growth and momentum. What is written here will merely be marked checkpoints where an interlude was offered in the midst of transcendent roaming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment